This rich Italian dessert combines the creaminess of fresh ricotta, the satisfying aroma of espresso and the sweet headiness of rum to create a delicious, smooth dessert that melts in the mouth and warms the throat. This recipe makes between 6 and 8 coffee ricotta desserts, perfect for a dinner party. You can use any of our automatic espresso machines to create three cups of rich espresso coffee and increase or decrease the strength according to your tastes. Give your dessert the warmth of a spiced or dark rum, or keep it sweet with a lighter white rum.
- Mix the milk and ricotta cheese until light and frothy. Using a Triblade hand mixer will help give you a fluffier texture.
- Add the sugar, coffee and rum. Use a rich espresso for a stronger, fuller flavour, or a weaker drip coffee to keep the dessert tasting subtle.
- Blend the shortbread biscuits and add melted butter until the texture of the mixture resembles wet sand and holds its shape when compressed. Mix in the chopped candied citron for a sweet and sour burst.
- Divide the two mixtures among 6 to 8 dessert dishes, layering the ricotta mixture over a layer of biscuit base.
- Garnish with whole coffee beans, candied citron, almonds or melted or grated chocolate.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to set to a smooth, creamy mousse. Serve chilled.